Five Things Christ Accomplished By His Death
“They crucified Him” (John 19:18)
Men did by their wicked hands crucify Him, the Lord Jesus Christ, and they did so by God’s determinate counsel and foreknowledge (Acts 2:23). They brought guilt upon themselves in crucifying Him, but here are five things that He did in His crucifixion.
(1) In His crucifixion, He crushed the head of Satan. He was manifested to destroy the works of the devil and He did so in His crucifixion.
(2) In his crucifixion, He opened the fountain for sin and uncleanness (Zechariah 13:1). Men open fountains to be admired, but He opened this fountain to be used. Come and wash for His blood “cleanseth from all sin.” “The dying thief rejoiced to see that fountain in his day, and there may I, though vile as he, wash all my sins away.”
(3) In His crucifixion, He “blotted out the hand writing of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross” (Col 2:14). The holy Law of God was contrary to us for it demanded perfect obedience in thought, word and deed; and cursed us for our disobedience.
(4) In His crucifixion, He ratified the New and everlasting covenant. “This is my blood in the new covenant”. Now the Testator has died, the will or testament cannot be changed, and besides, He lives to disperse the benefits of the testament to those He named as His heirs.
(5) In His crucifixion, He opened heaven’s door to all “who come unto God by Him”. We don’t know how many will enter heaven’s door. We know it will be a great number, but we do know that all who do will enter through Jesus Christ.
– David Pledger, Pastor of Lincoln Wood Baptist Church, Houston, Texas USA