Five Words of Comfort
Dear child of God are you in any trouble? Are you under the weight of grief and despair? Then avail your soul to God’s unfailing changeless word. (Isaiah 55:11) Set all your faith and affection toward the promises of God who cannot fail to accomplish His Sovereign Will.
In Ezekiel 36 we read no less than fourteen times “Thus saith the Lord.” We know that whatsoever God has said that He will do for His glory is subject to its accomplishment. Therefore the word of God tells us that all the promises of God are “yea and amen in Christ.” So then behold what the Lord has said in this chapter to His people.
For, behold, I am for you, and I will turn unto you, and ye shall be tilled and sown: And I will multiply men upon you, all the house of Israel, even all of it: and the cities shall be inhabited, and the wastes shall be builded: And I will multiply upon you man and beast; and they shall increase and bring fruit: and I will settle you after your old estates, and will do better unto you than at your beginnings: and ye shall know that I am the LORD.
- I am for you. Believer our God has been for us from all eternity. He has loved us with an everlasting, infinite, and measureless love. He loved us according to His own sovereign will and has by grace decreed to make us holy and sinless sons. Therefore as Paul reminds us “if God be for us who then can be against us?”
- I will turn unto you. We being born dead in sins were by nature as all Adam’s race haters of God. We were worthy only of God’s strict Justice but God who is rich in mercy for His great love wherewith He loved us” God turned to us by sending His Son to obtain for us eternal righteousness and redemption by His one offering for sin. Then in the providence of God at His appointed time He turned to us by His Holy Spirit in regeneration and quickened our dead soul to life and faith in Christ.
- Ye Shall be tilled and sown. Behold the Word of the Lord tells us that He will by His Holy Spirit till up the clods of our hard heart by trials and afflictions. This is the Work of God the Holy Spirit to expose our sins and break our hearts to cause us turn to Christ in faith and repentance. It is then the Word of God is sown in our hearts and God’s promise is that He will bring forth fruits of the Spirit in our hearts.
- I will Multiply Men. This is the Word of God concerning all Israel; that they all shall be saved. May God comfort our hearts with this seeing that the remnant in our day seems small, but none of those for whom Christ has died shall not fail to come by faith to Him. Jesus said “all that the Father giveth me shall come to me and Him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. This is the Will of the Father that sent me that of all those He has given me I should lose NOTHING but raise them up at the last day.” (John6:36-39)
- I will do you better than at your beginning. Believer there is a day coming that all will be better than it is now. Now we suffer and weep and die, but one day God shall wipe away all tears from our eyes and he shall for ever remove sin and death. In that day God will dwell with us and we shall see our Lord Jesus face to face.