I Must Preach The Gospel!
Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. (2 Timothy 4:2)
As a preacher of the gospel of Jesus Christ I will declare the gospel to all who will listen.
1. I preach the truth of Man’s total depravity. That man is spiritually dead in trespasses and sins so that he could never please God by his works or come to Christ by his will (Romans 5:12; Ephesians 2:1; Romans 3:10-20; John 6:44).
2. I preach the truth of God’s sovereign election. That God chose a people before the foundation of the world that He would save and put them in Jesus Christ as their High Priest and surety (Ephesians 1:3-6; Romans 9:11-13; 2 Thessalonians 2:13).
3. I declare the truth of Jesus perfect and accomplished redemption of all the Father gave to him (Hebrews 10:12-14; John 17:1-2). Jesus our High Priest became a man and accomplished all the righteousness of God by His faith for the elect. Jesus has by His blood satisfied the Justice of God for all the sins of His people (Isaiah 53:11).
4. I publish the exceeding great power of the Holy Spirit to give life and faith to all that the Father chose and all the Son redeemed (John 1:12-13; Ephesians 1:13-14;17-19).
And I know the call of the Spirit is effectual (it gets the job done), and all He calls will come to Jesus (John 6:37-40).
5. I testify that all these objects of God’s free grace who believe on Christ shall be kept by the power of God through faith and none of them shall be lost (1 Peter 1:5). Redeemed, and called vessels of divine love are always looking and living by faith in Christ (Galatians 3:10).
This is THE gospel. There is no other gospel but salvation by grace through faith in Christ alone (Galatians 1:6-9). I will tell it to all who will listen, and even when they won’t. But there is only one type of person, the gospel, is intended for. It is for sinners. These elect, redeemed, and called people are sinners. They are without merit, without righteousness, and without hope. They are dead, blind, and leprous sinners. And these alone will hear the gospel, believe the gospel, love the gospel, and support the gospel. For Jesus only came to save sinners. Therefore I long to preach to sinners.
-Fred Evans, Pastor of Redeemer’s Grace Church